Sign up for Remind to receive the most up to-date information regarding the Crockett Symphonic Band. To sign up for the Symphonic Band Remind:
- Create a text message addressed to 81010.
- In the text body, type “@crocksb17” without the quotations, then hit send.
- Respond with your first and last name.
- Respond with “P” for parent or “S” for student (please do not respond as a teacher).
Note that each ensemble uses its own Remind that requires a separate text code.
About the Symphonic Band
The Symphonic Band is the second competing ensemble at Crockett High School and is under the direction of Ms. Moehnke. Students in the Symphonic Band participate in the UIL Concert and Sight-reading Contest, and the UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest. Symphonic Band students will receive instruction with an emphasis on the fundamentals and skills needed to advance to the Wind Ensemble while working to enhance musicianship and ensemble skills. Members are assigned weekly sectionals and numerous performance evaluations which are fundamental in their development as musicians.
Students will be assessed using the Standards-Based Grading Rubrics for Band.
Per six-weeks, students will have the following grades in the grade book:
- Weekly Sectional Participation (6 grades): Attendance will be graded using the Rehearsal Etiquette Power Standard Rubric and will fall into the 90% weight category. Participation is not able to be made up later.
- Weekly Sectional Playing Grade (6 grades): Playing grades will be assessed during sectionals and will be graded using various Power Standard rubrics (such as Characteristic Sound or Pitch & Rhythmic Accuracy). Rubrics will be used, but playing grades will fall into the 10% weight category. Playing grades may be re-done for a higher score during FIT.
- Grade Check Sheets (6 grades): Students are required to keep track of their grades in other classes by completing and turning in weekly grade check sheet in which their teachers fill out their current grade and specify any missing assignments. They will be counted as daily grades.
- Practice Video (1 grade): Students are required to submit one practice video per 6 weeks. It must be between :30 and 2:00 minutes long and include an explanation and demonstration of a) a specific issue the performer is experiencing with their playing, and b) two ways the student has approached the issue. This video will be in the 90% weight category and will be due the third week of every six weeks on Google Classroom.
Sectional attendance is extremely important to the success of the Symphonic Band. All playing grades will be assessed during sectionals. All students are required to attend their scheduled sectional each week. Sectional Participation grades are not able to be made up at a later date.
Before school (7:45-9am): Horns (Tuesday), Tubas/Bari Sax/Bass Clarinet (Wednesday), Clarinets (Thursday)
After School (4:45-6pm): Trumpets (Monday), Flutes (Tuesday), Saxes (Wednesday), Trombones/Euphs/Tenor Sax (Thursday)
FULL BAND: 7:30AM on Friday B days